Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Forests of the heart, audio books and prompts.

I've been stuck right at the very end of Forests of the Heart by Charles De Lint, for a long time now. That's no fault of his. I adore that book. But it's the second time I've read it and I don't often read books twice and I've had a lot of deadlines recently.

If you want to know more about Forests of the heart then please visit the book review lens I made for it.

I'm not sure what to read next. I have Kushiel's Dart which I really enjoyed- I'm halfway through it- I can't remember why I paused but it's a huge book so I'll forgive myself. I also have Dangerous Angels- the collection of Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat books. I read three of them, I think, and thought I'd take a break before I started reading Missing Angel Juan.

I think most of my inattention is coming from having so many great audio books to listen to during the day when I'm sewing- so by the time night comes I already feel like I've read a lot.

I've just finished listening to the first book of JC Hutchin's Seventh Son, I'm partway through listening to Scott Sigler's Contagious and I'm eagerly awaiting each new chapter of Catherynne M Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making and absolutely delighted that she is now putting up writer's commentary.

I really want to get into some other online books too at some point, when I have the time.

I love this idea of self-publishing via podcasts and websites with just a tip jar by the side- it's a bit of a scary leap into the unknown but something I'd really like to explore at some point.

At the moment I'm supposed to be working on this week's prompt for a short story, which my lovely Rachel set for me. This week we're writing a story based on this quote:

"Sometimes I'm afraid that you'll tell me that this is not a work of fiction. I can only hope that the answers will come to me in my sleep."

Which is from, the film, Donnie Darko.

I love the story I'm writing although I've got a bit stuck because I think I should have started earlier and written more, and then I started thinking about research I needed to do and then all of a sudden this little prompt story is turning into a big monster that wants to be a novel!

In other writing related news I sent my stories off last week to the Bridport Short Story Prize. Whilst I was editing I practiced reading them aloud, which helped when looking for bits that didn't flow very well. It was actually a lot of fun although it made me wish I could do a convincing Scottish accent.

I need to read my novel aloud I think. I'm happy now with how the story is so far- I have about three chapters to fix until the end but I know the wording isn't very pretty in areas so that needs to be worked on- plus I spotted places where there was a lot of telling instead of showing so that needs to be fixed too. It's probably the wrong way to go about it and a bad habit but sometimes it's easier for me to "tell" and then go back and smooth that all into "show" afterwards. It's almost like I have to tell the story to myself before I can show it to anyone else. I hope that makes sense.

I suppose I should stop procrastinating and go and work on that prompt story!

No comments:

Post a Comment