Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Starting on a new story

Well it’s been a shamefully long time since I’ve done any proper writing but I’ve started on a new story that’s been composting in my head over that period.

Actually I did spend some of January writing a few notes and some scenes for the story but it was one of those half-hearted, "I don't have the energy for this", attempts at starting to write.

After November I had a bit of a weird time evaluating what I want to write and it took me a while to figure it out. I was so set on one pathway and then my whole interest and belief system (for want of a better phrase) completely blew up in my face.

Anyway, I made a new "book cover" for the story - so far with no title as I don't know what to call it yet - it's nice to use my new married name though! I've been calling it "Ethan" but that's just a temporary name I picked for one of the characters.

I used another one of my self-portraits and gave it the Photoshop treatment - like I did for my Nanowrimo cover - simply because I don't have anyone else to model for me. It's probably creepy-looking but it works for me!

So far this story is about:

Wonky magic
Hair colour
Religious Intolerence

I decided to use this story for a new writing prompt experiment I'm doing with my crit partner.

In 2009-2010 we each wrote a novel where each chapter was based on a new image prompt that was set every week. We started again 2 weeks ago.

I used this image for chapter 1.

Before my crit partner sent over that image I was a bit stuck on what was going to happen in this story and then thinking about this image and playing about with fabric gave me a big idea I can run with.

The fabric mess opposite was the start of a map I was making of the landscape where I was basing my story.

I decided that instead of the usual colours - earthy colours, greens and blues I would use any colour I came across and that I'd use odd shaped scraps of fabric rather than cutting new shapes for it.

This started me off on thinking about why the landscape would be weird colours and what those funny little shapes might be.

Those ideas got me thinking about how I could incorporate the "pipe" from prompt 1 into my story.

After that I made this paper map and messed about in Photoshop to add in a "haze of wonky magic".

And this house inspired chapter 2. I'm currently a little stumped about this chapter. I'm not sure I chose that great a prompt or whether I'm taking it all a bit too literal. I've been trying to plan out "exciting things" to happen in this chapter. I guess the thing is to sit down and write it first whether it's boring or not and then think about jazzing it up later.

Either that or I need to go and play about with fabric again!

2 comments:

  1. Love the book cover and you using your new married name :)

    This whole post is very intriguing, loving the fabric play and the images you have used for your inspiration have some very interesting lines and shapes, inspiring stuff.

    Need to read more about your role with your crit partner, and how the images translate into hair colour? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen :D

    Sounds like some good ideas for another post! :)

    ReplyDelete