Friday, 18 March 2011

Working on Chapter 3...


Well it’s Friday again and that means it’s swap day for our prompt stories ( I think we missed a week so we’re still on chapter 3) and I’m furiously writing up my next chapter as I was too lazy to get it done before today :/

Except I’m not, because I’m stopping every now and then to write this in between to brainstorm a few ideas.

I think I’ve got to the point where I’m going to have to do a lot of background thinking on this story or it’s going to be a bit hollow. I’m thinking it would be a good idea to start going through Holly Lisle’s Culture book.

I also need to think about things like:

What are the “monstrous creatures” that roam around the place and where did they come from?

What is the history of the Broken City?

How can I write an original high school story? Although I’m not writing about vampires I’m worrying about being too Twilighty. That may sound a bit odd but after being cured of Twilight-itis there are things that I didn’t like about Twilight that I deliberately wanted to “address” in this story but not in an obvious way. I was inspired by C. S. Lewis and how he wrote the Cosmic Trilogy as a rebuttal of Sci fi trends at the time.

This week’s prompt challenge – chosen by my  crit partner (also Rachel) is an image of a gorgeous handmade book on Deviantart.

I have plans for a very important book in my story but I don’t think this book is it – the book I was thinking of is plain looking and beaten up, however I do have an idea about banned books that would be useful for my story and also put my main character into even more danger than I originally had planned.

On my chapters so far I’ve only managed about 800 words or so but in this chapter I feel like I’m finally getting to the meaty part.

Rachel’s comments on the last 2 chapters have been great and she’s discovered some juicy bits that I threw in without thinking about but now think would be awesome to explore further.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read the next chappie : D Just sent mine over x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to bed too early to get it lol - sent mine over now :)

    ReplyDelete